- Talk with teachers at your school: who will participate this year?
- Set a school competition date- plan for a maximum 2 hour event. Decide if during school day or an evening event works best for your school. Book the space.
- Deadline for school competitions: before February 22, but you may want to set your date priro to Feb. 17, as we are incorporating a new Student Clinic event for school champions and alternate champions on that date.
- Send NH POL team your date.
- Back plan from your school competition date to incorporate any amount of the Poetry Out Loud curriculum you and your teachers want to apply.
- Read through the Teacher Toolkit , and encourage your fellow teachers to do the same.
- Figure out how many "classrooms" will be participating, and plan how "classroom competitions" will feed into your "all school competition".
- Recruit 3-5 performance judges, 1 accuracy judge, 1 prompter, 1-2 scorers for your school competition
- Get a team together to plan your school championship event, delegate paperwork, refreshments, music interlude, programs, etc
- Incorporate poetry into your curriculum- remember there are lesson plans and helpful resources in your toolkit and online to help with this.
- Help student competitors to choose their poems- must be from the www.poetryoutloud.org poem list.
- Hold your classroom competitions
- Hold your all school competition
- Report your school champion and alternate champion to NH POL team
- make sure your champion and alternate champion have 3 poems ready for state semifinals
- Have your school champion and alternate champion fill out/submit state semifinal registration forms.
- Help your champion/alternate champion prepare for semifinals.
- Accompany your champion/alternate champion to semifinals.
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Basic NH POL Program Check List
Here's a basic check list for setting up and running your NH Poetry Out Loud Program: