Welcome to the 13th year of Poetry Out Loud in New Hampshire!
We are accepting applications to the program from all NH public, private, and charter high schools. All schools will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. The program is limited to 45 schools.
What is Poetry Out Loud?
- A free and fun curricular unit that deeply engages students in our nation’s literary heritage through classic poetry.
- An opportunity for your students to compete in school, regional, and state-wide competitions.
- A national model in poetry instruction that is supported by the NH State Council on the Arts, NH Writers Project, National Endowment for the Arts, and the Poetry Foundation.
- A teacher-friendly, flexible program that can be integrated into the English Language Arts curriculum or existing poetry units with curriculum materials which support the English Language Arts, History, and Theatre Arts standards. To learn more about these connections check the Poetry Out Loud Teacher’s Guide at www.poetryoutloud.org.
- Free training and resources which include a teachers’ manual, professional development clinics for educators, poetry recitation and public speaking clinics for students, access to our updated online poetry anthology, state-wide teachers’ blog, and resources.
Key Dates to Remember:
- Deadline to hold school competitions: 2/14/18 (book your school venue ASAP!)
- Semi Final Competitions 2/19/2018 - 3/1/2018
- State Finals Competition: 3/14/2018
To Learn More:
Visit the NH State Council on the Arts to learn more about Poetry Out Loud in New Hampshire and the resources that are available to support your school in implementing the program.
Register electronically. You will be asked to:
- Identify the lead POL coordinators for your school
- Estimate the number of students and classrooms participating
- How many years you have participated in the program
- Alert us to any teaching
resources that would be helpful to you in implementing the program.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or email. We look forward to partnering with your school to celebrate poetry and student growth.
Poetry Out Loud Coordinator
Arts Education Coordinator
NH State council on the Arts