October 12, 2016
"I was surprised that I was able to select poems that are so out of my usual spoken word preference. The Poetry Out Loud website has hundreds of poems that I have never seen before, and the fact that I found 3 and was able to make it so far with them is amazing to me. I guess I learned that stepping outside of the box is okay!"- Annabelle Emuze, 2015 IL POL Champion
Register Now for the Poetry Out Loud Teacher Orientation
We are happy to be hosting two POL Teacher Orientations for you to choose from. Attendance is STRONGLY encouraged for all schools and programs, even if you have already participated in previous years. A certificate for 2 CEUs will be given at the end of the orientation. All teachers in your school who will be participating are encouraged to attend. Register for the orientation here.
· NH Institute of Art, Manchester
Thursday, November 3, 4-6 PM
· Museum of the White Mountains, Plymouth
Monday, November 7, 4-6 PM
The orientation will cover:
· an overview of the POL program requirements
· tips for teaching poetry and recitation in the classroom
· best practices for recruiting students and judges
· ways to use your school competition to feed positive school culture
· the NH and national calendar of events
· additional resources available to you, and more
I want to start digging in!
We encourage you to:
· Read about the program and look over the teacher resources including:
o Connections to NCTE ELA Common Core Standards
· Plan your curriculum to have a school-wide competition before the deadline February 3, 2017.
Want to get in the mood for poetry?!
· Subscribe to Poetry Foundation’s Poem of the Day
· Post a poem-a-day from the Poetry Out Loud Anthology in your classroom
· Attend the NH Arts Education Conference with keynote and workshop by Maine Poet Laureate, Stuart Kestenbaum
See you in November!